- NDSU IRB policy requires all investigators and research team members conducting human subjects research to complete training on protecting the rights and welfare of research participants (documentation of training is verified when a protocol is submitted for review).
- This requirement applies to all those who will interact or intervene with research participants, obtain informed consent, or handle identifiable data (e.g., principal investigators, co-investigators, key personnel, research team members, assistants, or outside collaborators). Refer to SOP 5.3 for more information.
- The training requirement may be satisfied by completing an online course (CITI—see instructions below) or attending an in-person session (offered to groups of 5 or more); contact IRB staff to schedule a presentation for your group.
In-Person Training Session: Thursday, September 18th at 2:30 PM in the Memorial Union, Meadowlark Room. To register: email email@example.com by September 15th.
- The NDSU IRB requires all members of the research team maintain current knowledge of ethical principles and policies related to human subjects research.
- For researchers, one hour of training in research protections is required every 3 years.
- IRB Members are required to complete one hour of training in human subjects research every year.
- Options for refresher training include:
- online session (CITI),
- IRB staff presentation to your group, department, or class. For invited presentations, please contact the IRB office to arrange a time and date for the presentation. We do ask that groups consist of at least 5 people, and that the hosting department make arrangements for the location.
- instruction of a course including at least 1 hour class discussion of human subjects protection principles (this option may be used once every 6 years). Complete the Investigator CE: Course Instruction Option Form.
- If you have questions about your last training date, please contact the IRB office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 701.231.8995 or 701.231.8908.
Online Training Course for Human Subjects Protection/IRB
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI):
NOTE: The following CITI modules DO NOT fulfill IRB requirements: Lab Animal Welfare, Responsible Conduct of Research, Good Clinical Practice, and Health Information and Privacy. To ensure completion of the correct training course, please read and follow the following instructions carefully prior to logging in:
Instructions for registering for IRB Course (word document with screen shots)
Last updated: August 12, 2014 12:42 PM